Monday, February 26, 2007

My Top Secret Recipe

The success of the tunnel of fudge cake got me thinking; can I make up a recipe that is worth one million dollars? I was poking around on the Pillsbury website, and yes, that is the prize for winning the bake-off. The thing is, it has to be an original recipe and it has to involve the use of pillsbury ingredients. It must involve the pop-open biscuits, their jams, etc. I decided to aim towards the Old El Paso category, since I make lots of Mexican food. The problem is, I never use Old El Paso stuff. I mean, you aren't going to find a recipe for 180 tamales on a bag of taco seasoning. At any rate, I invented something that is original, easy, and very Tex-Mex.

This weekend I made it twice, each time experimenting with the exact conditions. My taste-tester seemed satisfied by it, but I think he'd prefer I continue testing it. I don't think either test was up to snuff, but it tasted good. At any rate, it was fun to just take the weekend making food and living the American dream. You can't come up with anything more wholesome than testing recipes for a bake-off. You can't come up with anything more American than bastardizing Mexican food for money.

I'm going to try it one more time, and then send it off for peer review. (I'll have my mom and sis make it in their test kitchens.) Once I'm resonably satisfied with it, I'll submit the recipe. The deadline isn't until April 22nd, but I really don't can't imagine making this too many more times before then. I guess I'll wait until after the deadline to post it, cause I don't want anyone stealing my million dollar idea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home